Sunday, March 31, 2013

Confirmed!

Last night, I was confirmed into the Catholic Church. This was one of the most memorable, and most important moments in my life. I had numerous members and friends show up and endure the two-hour mass in my support. To which, I greatly appreciate. Catholic or not, they were there in my support.

What was it like?

Well, it started in the yard of the rectory. Father had a "Holy Fire" where he lit the Easter candle, and we processed in. Once that candle was inside, the light was spread and we took our seats. Then, the readings. Seven of them. I took these in, and realized how much the two testaments really reflect off of each other. The Old Testament sets up the history for the New Testament, and the New Testament solidifies the Old.

The homily reflected the rising of Christ, and the renewal of our lives. I think I had more of a feeling of renewal and new resolution last night then I ever on a New Years Eve. 

Four baptisms later, I stood alone, in front of Father Matt, professing my faith in commitment into the Catholic Church. This was a life changing, life altering, earth shattering event. "I believe and profess all the the holy Catholic Church believes, teaches and proclaims to be revealed by God."

Honestly, I couldn't remember everything Father said, but my heart slowed down when he dipped his thumb in the Chrism Oil, and said "Augustine, I seal you with the Holy Spirit." For the rest of the night, the Oil remained on my forehead, a sweet smell as a reminder of the sweetness of the life of Christ.

I was confirmed. I was officially something bigger then myself. Everything I have studied, all the emotions I went through and all the other events I've gone through, I have arrived. People say they've changed, they've done things to alter their life, I just did.

Others came up after me, then I sat back down next to my daughter. A flood of emotion and I was was set. Next came my first communion.

When it was time, I bowed, and the Host was in my hand. Once I put it in my found, I split it on the roof of my tongue, I had consumed the Body of Christ. Next was the blood. A sip was all I took, but the color was a vibrant red. The wine hit my tongue, absorbed itself into the remaining bread, and it was done.

It was a long and beautiful ceremony. I will never go through it again, and it was perfect. My 4 year old daughter did wonderful, and I had some of the most important people in my life in attendance.

Although the whole event took nearly two hours, it flew by. I am now happier then I have ever been in my life, and this journey that we call life has just begun.

Take care,
Geddy


No comments:

Post a Comment