Thursday, March 28, 2013

Holy Thursday

Tonight marks the memory of the Last Supper, and Jesus being mounted to the cross. Fr. Matt's homily tonight reminded me of several things, and brought to my attention things that I've wondered about, and tried to figure out how to handle within my own mind. Here's some thoughts;

As Christ washed the feet, this was so symbolic of what we are to do. Our Creator, washed the feet of those who walked on the Earth he created. The same soil that is and was filled with blood, sin, war, hate...He cleansed us. As Father washed my feet today, the sense of all the eyes of the mass on me disappeared as I took in what was happening. He is not Jesus. But I experienced Christ washing my feet. An example of His teachings. Nothing is below him. Nothing is below us. We are mortal humans. We all deserve each others respect and humility. The rich, the poor, the sick...we are all on this planet for a very short time.  Why not make the best of it? Treat each other as Christ would treat them, and live as if you are about to die, and your last moments are being recorded for our Father.

Tonight marks the institution of the Eucharist...or the Communion. I've understood this Sacrament more and more each week since I started RCIA. Christ shared his body in the bread and wine, and the consumption of it, brings him literally into our blood. I am extremely excited to partake in this. To me, it's a solid, constant reminder of not only His sacrifice, but our commitment. Not just to "behave" or act "like a Christian" but we are to be Jesus while we are on earth. Which brings me to the next point.

Tonight marks the institution of Priesthood. Sharing the gospel has come easier for me as of late, and I've often pondered a drastic change in careers and seek out ministry. But, ministry isn't limited to the pulpit. You don't even have to be ordained. Some people see their life as being defined by a career or a job. But we all as Christians have a job. It's to spread God's word. In doing that, we are to be Christ like. Not Bible-thumping, screaming lunatics. But lights of example. Possessing the ability to calmly, rationally speak with someone of a different faith, or of no faith, and know what you are talking about, and have the faith and confidence that what you are saying is not only what you believe in, but what is right, and why.

I will not be in your face about my experience, but I will tell you about it. If you ask, I will tell. If you assume something , I can only recommend for you to find the truth your own way. Some of the keys to being a good Christian as well as an adult, is the ability and willingness to explain yourself, knowing you may get prosecuted, but in Him is the answer. In Him is the truth.

Our world is ruled by one king. One king who, created us, came to Earth, died for us, rose again and redeemed us from our sins. No president or politicians can do such a thing. With the help from the Holy Mother and all the Saints, we recognize He has done, and what He still does for us.

I encourage everyone who reads this, do something to remember Him tonight. After you read this, whether its saying the Rosary, talking to Him for the first time in years, or simply reading one verse in the Bible, (I recommend John 3:16) comment below what you did. Not for me or for yourself or for the sake of saying you did something, but do it in memory of Him. Do it as paying tribute for what He has done for us. Amen.

Take care my friends,
Geddy

P.S. , I will be praying the Rosary before bed, reflecting on the Passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment