Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Pope


There are few "Where were you when" moments in my life that I can recall off the top of my head. The explosion of the Space Shuttle Columbia, those first images of the tsunami in Japan and Indonesia...etc.

Finding out a new Pope had been elected sent chills down my spine. For numerous reasons.

I had just left the doctors office with Bella, heading for another doc, when on the EWTN broadcast, the woman said "Wer're seeing smoke again, and it's grey...grey? White? White!! White smoke! White smoke!" I had a chill rush down my spine and I was smiling from ear to ear. The bells in the Vatican were heard on the radio, and even Bella said "Dad, what's those bells from?" I told her "You will see soon."

So after the doctor, we headed the the Kelley Catholic Center on Henry, and I met Sister Mary there glued in front of the TV? "New pope!" She yelled. I told her I heard and I came over right away because I knew she'd be watching. So, for the next 30 minutes, Bella, Sr. Mary, four others, and myself all watched in anticipation as Pope Francis made his appearance. I love the "new" feeling. But, this is more symbolic for me then just a new Bishop of Rome.

As you may know, I am winding down my RCIA classes and will be confirmed on Easter Vigil. I am becoming a Catholic and living out a life centered in Jesus Christ, and learning numerous things through the Church. Along with my pending confirmation, I went to Our Lady of Grace, and officially registered as a member of the Parish. I belong to something. Something so much more bigger then myself, or anything I have ever belonged to. Pope Francis is my pope entering into the Church and he and I share the same time stepping into new roles (along with the thousands of other RCIA candidates). So, it was very exciting.  This Papacy is symbolic of a new beginning for the Church, as well as a new beginning for myself.

But the previous Papacy inspired me as well. I had been under a lot of stress while trying to manage/work at two different locations and it was taking a lot on me, mentally and physically. So, I prayed. Asking how do I make this work, what do I do? Then he did it. Benedict stepped down. Granted, his stepping down and mine were very different, with God's help, I recognized my strengths, weaknesses and talents and relinquished my position. My decision was met with support, and everything is going great. It's another sign that prayer works. Sometimes God says "no", but sometimes he opens your eyes to see the answer.

Until next time my friends, stay safe and take care.

Geddy

No comments:

Post a Comment