Sunday, March 17, 2013

Who I am, what I've done, where I've been

Well, I'm back on facebook after a short hiatus. After a while, I started to get addicted to sitting on here for hours, but watching childish drama unfold...I decided it was a break, and see who was really a "friend". I found out. Those who still sought me out, still bothered to give a shout here and there etc... I also learned how to appreciate the real social interactions with people. Clicking "chat" and then clicking the "X" isn't being part of a dynamic social relationship. It's about going out, talking to that person in person, seeing the real world, and not just clicking "like" on a picture.

I've said again and again and again how much I've changed, how new and improved I will be...but in the last few months, I did it. I stripped myself down and really grew into who I am now. It's not just a mental thing. It's more then just thumping or pounding your chest declaring "this is who I am!" its action. Once you do the action, rather then say it, you realize you've committed to it and the change has occurred. How have I done that? Soul searching. A cliche statement I know, but there's a deep truth to it.

I am proud to say that I am converting, and will soon be fully converted into the Catholic Church (more about how that came about later). But along with that, the teachings I've discovered both through the Church and the one's I've identified with myself, I have followed through on. There are many items in that category that I can elaborate on to which I've ripped off the band-aid on, and frankly, got over. Certain thing's I've held onto over the years that were a weight on my chest, which, I knew, if I got rid of I would be liberated. I found this in the teachings of Christ. He forgave us for doing the horrific sins we have, as well as the minor ones, and held no grudges. After his resurrection, he did not go to a Roman guard and tell him I did this for everyone but you...it was for all of us. So, in his example, I forgave, and told them in person that I forgave them for what they put me through. It wasn't a pity party for Geddy, but an acknowledgment that I am moving on, and for me, I no longer hold that on my soul. It's done. Now, on their end...that's their call, however they handle the situation, knowing they were in the wrong and handled things wrong, the weight of that can be lifted or carried.

I joined the Church to strengthen a relationship with God, and to make sure my eternal life is secure. I believe I can do this by living my faith, and carrying out good works. Faith and works...not just one or the other.I did this because my child needs to be brought up in a strong foundation and I am learning, as well as showing my daughter that the Church...(through Christ) can provide this. I know there are some misconceptions of the Church, and I invite you to seek the truth for yourself, as I did. The Church, like all people, have made mistakes and errors. To that which they have corrected and paid for, not just monetarily, but with the reputation as well. Still, I march forward. God, along with the angels, saints and this Son are with us, we have to chose to accept them and live with them in our life.

I've learned so much in the last few months. Love, death, sin, tolerance, acceptance...things that were not taught to me in school, things that as an adult you have to seek on your own. I do want to make clear, just because of what I proclaim and believe in, does not mean I fit into any stereotypes. Everyone lives their life in accordance to what they feel is right. For a long time, I did not, and I let others speak for me, and I acted on their wishes. No more.

My daughter is my world, to which I lead the example. When she gets to the age of noticing boys and what not, she will have an example in me which to follow.

Much more will be to come soon. I have set a goal to continue my love for writing and will. If you have a comment, by all means leave it, if it's negative or inappropriate, it'll be gone.

I wish you all the best.
Geddy Whalen

No comments:

Post a Comment