Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Faith - Part 1

A long time mission of mine, is to find out for myself what faith is. Faith, as in every aspect of the word. If you look on dictionary.com , you find definitions of faith such as ;
1. Confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. Belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. Belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. Belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5.A system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. The obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7.The observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.
8. Christian Theology . the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.
 
Wow. 8 definitions. For all of those, I can see a reason for the definition. But my quest is to find out the difference between faith and hope.  I've come up with numerous analogies to help myself, but last night, faith was defined. The pure definition of faith. 
 
A while ago, I met someone who told me they were a Mormon. We got into a brief religious discussion when I told them about my entry into the Catholic Church. At the time, I said "Cool, it's good that you have a strong faith in Christ." - - - That was before I looked up what Mormons believed in. I also took a gander at Jehovah's Witnesses. Just out of curiosity. 
 
The ideas of Mormonism to me are laughable and to a certain extent offensive. Teaching that Jesus was conceived by Mary through "Elohim?" I was sick to my stomach when I heard "And Elohim came to Mary to have sex with her. And he created Jesus."
 
This is where I found out what faith is. Faith is the unbridled confidence in what you believe. It's not a belief, it's a "know." I know that story isn't true. I know Our Lady was a virgin her entire life. I know Jesus was conceived by God in Mary. Seeing something taught that I know wasn't truth made me sick. My faith was not rattled, but I knew at that point, that just as I know water extinguishes a flame, my faith is a knowledge to which will never be bolstered or  replaced. 
 
My friends, when I first started talking with Sister about what I wanted to know, and what I wanted to believe, this is what I was looking for. I wanted evidence, I wanted proof. I found it all. The Catholic faith has taught me that Catholicism is faith with reason. I love what I know, and I know Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven, and that he died for you and I to get there. I know this. Do you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment